Monday, April 7, 2014

Ritual

This journal prompt was found at Submissive Journal Prompts

“Ritual is important. It is fulfilling and meaningful. It is beautiful. It is symbolic, mnemonic, and instructive. It establishes protocols. It expresses, defines, and clarifies conditions. It is essential to, and ingredient within, civilization. Similarly, do not overlook the significance and value of symbolism.” Vagabonds of Gor, John Norman

Ok, I have two schools of thought on this. 

First school is pro ritual.  I like rituals, I like how comforting and soothing they can be.  It was part of what I enjoyed about the Catholic church when I was converting.  When you first learn, or start a ritual, it's a great way to be mindful, to draw attention to whatever that ritual is for.  

BUT!  

Second school is against it, or at least long term ritual.  Because after a while, you just go through the motions.  At least, I find I do.  At church, saying The Lord's Prayer, at Girl Scout meetings, saying the Pledge of Allegiance, etc, etc.  It loses it's meaning.  

So my thoughts on ritual is, it's good, but not for a permanent thing, they need to be updated, or changed up now and then, so you remain focused and mindful.  




No comments:

Post a Comment